Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Yummies

So I'm trying to make a conscious effort to eat better. (Excluding the fact that I made extremely sugar-ey Coconut Ice Cakes). This lead to a last minute sort of stir-fry dish with lots of yummy veggies. I actually felt like a proper cook for the first time - I prepared all my vegetables and had them laid out on my bright red chopping board. Scraping them into the fry pan I got that little thrill knowing that whilst I might not be a 'chef' in the making I'm going to make a damn good Housewife ;)

So without further ado let me introduce you to my dish, please ignore the cheat part where I used bottled plum sauce (I told you I wasn't a chef!).

Plum & Ginger Chicken with CousCous

Ingredients
  • Chicken breasts (enough for 2 people)
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 3/4 bottle of plum sauce
  • GENEROUS dashes of soy sauce
  • 2 squirts of ginger out of one of those tubes (again with the cheating...please forgive me)
  • 2 small carrots sliced kinda thin
  • Big handful of snow peas
  • Big handful of bean sprouts
  • Big handful of frozen peas
  • Pearl Cous Cous 
  • 2 cups vegetable stock (& maybe a bit extra, see step 4)
Method
  1. Slice up the chicken and stick it in a bowl. Then cover it with the plum sauce and 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. Mix and put in the fridge covered for as long as you can wait.
  2. When you're ready to start cooking prepare all your vegetables and put them to the side. Boil the vegetable stock.
  3. Stock boiling? Then throw in a packet of couscous (sans packet if you're anything like my Hubby and follow instructions to the letter!). At the same time add peanut oil to your pan and throw in the chicken.
  4. The couscous should take 10 minutes and you need to make it simmer. I kept it going for longer and added some extra veggie stock at the very end to cook it through a bit more. 
  5. Meanwhile stir the chicken and once its started to sizzle away add your vegetables (turn the heat down to medium, or whatever you feel comfortable with). Add extra soy sauce & the ginger. Cover the pan stirring every once in awhile give it a nice big ol' stir.
  6. Stir the couscous, stir the chicken and veggies. Have a look over it all and when it's done plate it up.
A very simple but yummy dinner!


1 comment: