Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Salt & Butter - Hello Old Friends

If you have never heard of the Pioneer Woman you are missing out. Her recipes are literally to die for (I mean that and you'll see why when I list the ingredients!). Hubby had left chicken thighs for dinner and I remembered I'd put aside a chicken soup recipe from her website. I checked out how long I needed (1.5 hours) and decided that would be our dinner. I am so glad that I did, even Hubby begged for the leftovers (usually he bypasses all leftovers for a roll with tuna!). So without further ado here is my dinner in pictures (with recipe at the end).

Cast of Characters
OMG How many stock cubes!!!???
Chopping up the veggies while the chicken is cooking away
OMG How much butter???!!!
Finally healthy veggies (but wait how much butter is hidden in there...)
Chicken and veggies
The end result - YUMMO


Ingredients
1 pack chicken thighs
1 packet of Pearl CousCous
6 chicken stock cubes
1.5 cups chicken stock
8 cups water
1/3 large onion - chopped
1 large green capsicum - chopped
5 celery stalks - chopped
6 tbsp butter
4tbsp flour

Method
1. Put chicken in large saucepan and cover with water and liquid stock. Add stock cubes and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through).
2. Take the chicken out and leave them to cool (then cut/shread into bite size pieces)
3. Chop the vegetables.
4. Melt 4 tbsp of butter in a pan and then add the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until thickened and then add to broth. Stir the heck out of that thing and just keep going so you don't wind up with lumpy yucky flour stuff throughout.
5. Add couscous to liquid and stir. Meanwhile clean the pan and melt 3tbsp butter then add your veggies. Stir it all together and then add the chicken. Cook the chicken and veggies for 2 minutes and then add to broth.
6. Make sure the couscous is cooked (at least 8 minutes) and then serve it up in big bowls.

I guarantee this is worth all the butter and stock! My Hubby who doesn't like capsicum gobbled it up and we both had seconds! 

1 comment:

  1. I love pearl cous cous and this dish sounds perfect for winter. Butter and salt just makes everything taste better!

    ReplyDelete